Would you like to build a website for your brand, business, product, service or create a personalised online portfolio? If Yes, then you’re on the right blog post. Some people are terrified or intimidated about the website design process; however, this blog post aims to simplify and guide you step-by-step on setting up and building a website for your brand, business, product, service using Bluehost.
Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, and if you make a purchase through them, I will be compensated at zero additional cost to you. This helps support the work on this platform. Nevertheless, I only suggest products or services that I use and would recommend.
This post also shows that you don’t need a professional website developer to design a website. There are many platforms (e.g., Bluehost, Wix, Squarespace) that have made the website design process very user-friendly.
Before we get started, check out some benefits of building a website for your brand/business:
- It provides more information about yourself and services (e.g., what you offer).
- You will look more professional.
- It improves your online visibility, for example, see the Google search image below.
Let’s get started
Firstly, it’s important to understand some key concepts before getting started. For example, if we were to compare the process of developing a website, with that of building a house, it’ll be as follows:
- Website – The house/location for your brand/business on the internet.
- Hosting platform – This is the land for building the house. Examples of hosting platforms include Bluehost, Wix, Squarespace etc.
- Domain name – This is the house address. For example, theatenetwork.com, drsotayo.com, abbasegbeyemi.me, etc.
- Content management system – This is for managing the content and styling the house. For example, WordPress.
The image below also describes the analogy.
In the context of this guide, it is worth noting that WordPress is integrated with Bluehost which simplifies the process of hosting your website alongside managing the files and content for your website. In addition, Bluehost/WordPress has a lot of resources (partly due to their popularity), reliable service, excellent customer service and reviews, and is reasonably user-friendly for beginners.
Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide:
- Go to Bluehost and click the Get Started button.
- Select the hosting plan (i.e. Bluehost pricing) that you need. The BASIC plan under the 36 months tab is an excellent option for beginners.
- Choose a domain for your website. Ensure your domain name aligns with your brand or vision (quick tips – ensure that it’s easy to remember, easy to spell and reasonably short).
- You will then be asked to enter your Account Information, Package Information, select Package Extras and enter Payment Information. As part of the Package Extras, select Domain Privacy + Protection (This ensures that the public can’t find your personal details, e.g., phone number or email address).
- Once the process is completed, install, and log in to WordPress (WordPress is integrated into Bluehost, so it’s reasonably straightforward). Now, the domain, hosting and content management system are secured.
First Part Completed - Well done!
Now, you can style your website by selecting your appropriate theme (i.e., website layout).
To select a Theme, go to Appearance > Themes. You can search for themes with the relevant keywords for your brand/business (if needed, you can change the theme at a later stage).
- You can now create website pages by going to Pages > Add New.
This can include:
- Home Page
- About Page
- Products or Services Page (if applicable)
- Blog Page
- Contact Page
- To write your first blog post, go to Posts > Add New.
- To include images, videos and PDFs, go to Media > Add New. Use high-quality images of your products. Alternatively, there are platforms that offer free high-quality images such as Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels.
- You can edit the details of your current theme by using the Customize function, go to Appearance > Customize.
You can now share your wonderful website with the world!
I hope this blog post has shown that building a website for your brand/business using Bluehost is not terrifying and can be developed within minutes. At first, it may not be perfect (also, website design can be very subjective) and may take a few changes to get it where you want it. However, in the words of Mark Zuckerberg (Founder of Facebook),
“Ideas don’t come out fully formed. They only become clear as you work on them. You just have to get started.”
Therefore, you can apply this principle to showcase your excellent work with the world and get started now! Good luck!